Resources And Guidance For EMV Implementation in a C-Store Environment - Conexxus White Paper
This Conexxus white paper provides links into educational information and frequently asked questions regarding EMV implementations in the U.S. It is intended to assist members of the petroleum and convenience industry to find information related to EMV. Three primary sources are the following organizations:
- Secure Technology Alliance (formerly known as the Smart Card Alliance)
- US Payments Forum (formerly known as the EMV Migration Forum)
While many EMV resources exist, the resource links included in this document were found to be the most helpful and relevant to merchants in the petroleum and convenience industry. This document is organized as follows:
- EMV Basics: This is the section providing basic information and answers to commonly asked questions regarding EMV.
- Up Front Decisions: There are many decisions that must be made in advance of EMV implementation. This section covers some of these common areas (e.g., debit routing, contactless, optimizing transactions, fallback, manual entry).
- Cardholder Data Considerations: This is the section that clarifies the role EMV plays in protecting cardholder data.
- Testing and Certification: This is the section providing basic information regarding testing and certification of an EMV implementation.
- Ongoing Care and Maintenance: There are some processes that require ongoing management. This section covers some of those areas (e.g., chargebacks, kernel maintenance).
- Other considerations for topics that may be applicable to your particular business including:
- Unattended payment terminals;
- Tips and gratuities if you also have a restaurant or provide other services where tipping is allowed; and
- Processing card not present transactions (i.e., you accept phone or online transactions).
- Additional resources available.
You can download the full white paper from the link below.